Coast Guard ship booked for fisherman`s drowning
Rameswaram: A case has been registered against an Indian Coast Guard ship in connection with the drowning of a fisherman following collision with his boat in the sea off Pamban coast, police said on Saturday.
The case under Indian Penal Code section 337 (causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) had been registered based on a complaint from fishermen, they said.
The body of the 19-year old fisherman was recovered today.
The country boat was carrying five fishermen from Pamban when a ship allegedly collided with it yesterday, resulting in the vessel breaking into two pieces. Four of them were rescued by fishermen of another boat while Calvin drowned.
The rescued fishermen alleged their boat was hit by an Indian Coast Guard ship, which was patrolling in the area. They claimed the ship did not stop after the incident.
However, Coast Guard Commander Harish Morre had denied the involvement of their ship in the mishap.
Tension prevailed in Pamban near here this morning as the local fishermen placed Calvin`s body on the road and blocked traffic demanding action against Coast Guard and compensation to the family of the deceased.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets