Collector comes to 17-year-old girl`s aid in Ooty
Udhagamandalam (TN): Nilgiris District Collector Archana Patnaik today came to the rescue of a 17-year-old girl from Pollachi in Coimbatore district who ran away from home alleging that her parents wanted to give her in marriage, without her consent.
She was sent to the Women`s Care Home at Coimbatore, officials said.
The girl, who has passed her 10th exam, came to this tourist town yesterday and after sight-seeing, she reached the Information office, from where she was brought to Archana`s office last night.
Hearing her plight that she was being given in marriage forcibly to a 19-year-old boy, Archana instructed to call her parents and asked the girl to stay in a Women`s Home last night, official sources said.
As the girl, with gold ornaments weighing 20 sovereigns on her person, refused to go with her parents, who reached the town today, the collector directed that she be taken to a women`s care home in Coimbatore, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights