Collector comes to 17-year-old girl`s aid in Ooty
Udhagamandalam (TN): Nilgiris District Collector Archana Patnaik today came to the rescue of a 17-year-old girl from Pollachi in Coimbatore district who ran away from home alleging that her parents wanted to give her in marriage, without her consent.
She was sent to the Women`s Care Home at Coimbatore, officials said.
The girl, who has passed her 10th exam, came to this tourist town yesterday and after sight-seeing, she reached the Information office, from where she was brought to Archana`s office last night.
Hearing her plight that she was being given in marriage forcibly to a 19-year-old boy, Archana instructed to call her parents and asked the girl to stay in a Women`s Home last night, official sources said.
As the girl, with gold ornaments weighing 20 sovereigns on her person, refused to go with her parents, who reached the town today, the collector directed that she be taken to a women`s care home in Coimbatore, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL