College girl stripped to find if she has cellphone
Chennai: In a shocking incident, a girl student
of a city college was allegedly stripped and searched by a
teacher who suspected her of carrying a cell phone.
The incident came to light only after the girl, a student
of Prince Shri Venkateswara Arts and Science College, filed a
complaint with University of Madras Vice Chancellor, alleging
she was stripped and searched by a Physical Education Teacher.
The college has reportedly banned students from carrying
"I have directed a committee to look into the matter. They
will visit the college and file a report, based on which we
will take necessary actions within our purview. We have not
given any directions to colleges on any dress code or on use
of cellphones on college campuses," Vice Chancellor G
Students from across city colleges said the recent incident
was an intrusion into their personal lives.
"The incident is ridiculous.If you do not want them to carry
a phone, there are ways to check that. The college can use a
metal detector or a signal jammer... not strip search someone.
And using mobiles is important to students as we travel a lot
and want to keep in touch with our families," said Chandrika
Cycil,Psychology research student in Women`s Christian College
An MBA student of Tagore Engineering College said the
incident is an abuse of power by the authorities. "Even if
they suspect something, they cannot strip search a student,
that too in a college," said J Jayashankar.
"That was an invasion into a girl`s privacy. If you find a
girl violating a rule, you can confiscate her phone, but not
frisk her and try to find out something from her bag or
clothes. That`s not fair as we need to use them after class
hours," said Priyanka of a private college.
The College Principal was not available for comments when
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Bihar polls: Nitish's minister Kushwaha caught on camera taking bribe, suspended from party post