College principal facing rape charges removed from post
Tiruchirappalli: The Principal of the St
Joseph College here, accused of raping a nun, has been
relieved from the post, officials said today.
"The College Management has relieved Father R
Rajarathinam from the Post with immediate effect," officials
said, adding a new person would take over as
Principal-in-charge from today.
Police said Rajarathinam was absconding and they had
registered cases against him under IPC sections for raping and
Meanwhile, the rape victim was subjected to medical
examination and the report would be submitted either today or
tomorrow, police said.
The woman in her complaint said Rajarathinam, who used to
visit the college where she was pursuing graduation in music,
once invited her to his college. He had then drugged and raped
She had also alleged that he had recorded the incident on
his cellphone and threatened to make it public if she
disclosed the matter to anyone.
The woman claimed that she was raped several times over a
period of two years since 2006 and when she was pregnant in
2008, she was forced to undergo an abortion at a private
The Principal had threatened her with dire consequences
several times and sexually harassed her, she alleged.
Members of the `Makkal Kalai Ilayakkiya Kazhagam,`
(People`s Cultural and Literary Front), organised a
demonstration today demanding action against Rajarathinam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi