Commercial operation of Kudankulam plant expected next month
Chennai: Commercial operation of the controversial Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP) is expected to commence next month.
The commercial operation of the 1000 MW first unit of the Indo-Russian project was slated for commissioning this month but is now expected in March, Nuclear Power Corporation Limited (NPCIL) said.
The first unit achieved 99.7 per cent physical progress on December 2012.
The plant, being built with Russian reactors, was originally scheduled for December 2011, but has been dogged by delays due to anti-nuclear protests.
The over 500-day long protest against the plant, spearheaded by the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE) citing safety concerns has largely contributed to the delay in the commissioning of the plant.
Meanwhile, former Atomic Energy Commission Chairman Dr MR Srinivasan told reporters at Udhagamandalam that the plant is expected to generate power from the first week of March and the second unit by mid-September.
He dismissed reports of possibility of leakage from the plant, saying the entire plant is very safe and located in a high security zone.
Srinivasan, here to launch the FM station of All India Radio, said more nuclear plants are required in the country to meet the acute power shortage.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive