Commercial operation of Kudankulam plant expected next month
Chennai: Commercial operation of the controversial Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP) is expected to commence next month.
The commercial operation of the 1000 MW first unit of the Indo-Russian project was slated for commissioning this month but is now expected in March, Nuclear Power Corporation Limited (NPCIL) said.
The first unit achieved 99.7 per cent physical progress on December 2012.
The plant, being built with Russian reactors, was originally scheduled for December 2011, but has been dogged by delays due to anti-nuclear protests.
The over 500-day long protest against the plant, spearheaded by the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE) citing safety concerns has largely contributed to the delay in the commissioning of the plant.
Meanwhile, former Atomic Energy Commission Chairman Dr MR Srinivasan told reporters at Udhagamandalam that the plant is expected to generate power from the first week of March and the second unit by mid-September.
He dismissed reports of possibility of leakage from the plant, saying the entire plant is very safe and located in a high security zone.
Srinivasan, here to launch the FM station of All India Radio, said more nuclear plants are required in the country to meet the acute power shortage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video