Commission of murder not proved as some witnesses turned hostile: Judge
Puducherry: The Principal District and Sessions Judge C S Murugan, who acquitted 23 persons including the two Kanchi seers in the sensational Sankararaman murder case on Wednesday, concluded that the commission of murder was not proved as some witnesses turned hostile and some failed to support the prosecution case.
"The murder of Sankararaman is not proved since more than 20 prosecution witnesses examined to prove the commission of murder by A7 to A12 (Rajinikanth, Ambigapathy, M Bhaskar, KS Kumar, Anandakumar and Anilkumar) turned hostile and some of them though not turned hostile but failed to support the prosecution case," the Judge said in his 253-page order.
A total of 189 witnesses were examined and 83 of them turned hostile.
The family members of Sankararaman, wife, son and daughter, had failed to support prosecution case, the verdict stated.
For instance, Sankararaman`s wife Padma and son Anand Sharma failed to support the prosecution case for motive for the commission of murder, the judge observed.
"The wife of deceased Sankararaman, Padma and daughter Uma Maithierayee who identified the accused during identification parade, failed to support the prosecution case," he said.
Further, payment of gratification to the `murderers` A7 to A12 and to the fake accused A16 to A20 were also not proved, the order, which gave a massive relief to the two Kanchi seers, said.
The 10 witnesses examined to prove the payment of gratification to the fake accused turned hostile and hence, the said payment of gratification is not proved, the Judge said.
"Neither substantive nor reliable evidence is available on record to corroborate the testimony of hostile witnesses or the evidence of P.W.158(Rajendiran, the then Judicial Magistrate-I,Chengalpet) and P.W.159 (Mahalakshmi, the then District Munsif-cum-Judicial Magistrate, Thirukazukundram) who conducted the identification parade to fix the identity of the accused, he observed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow