Commissioning of KNPP can help TN ease power crisis: Govt
Coimbatore: Commissioning of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant can help Tamil Nadu ease the power crisis to some extent, especially in this hub of textile and MSMe, where the situation is `pathetic`, the Centre Monday said.
"Tamil Nadu needs more power and plants like KNPP can help ease the power shortage. The power situation in Coimbatore region, the hub of textile and MSMe units, is pathetic," Minister of State in PMO V Narayanasamy said at the fifth CEO conference, organised by the Southern India Mills Association here.
He claimed a survey by the Centre had revealed that 95 per cent of the people of Tamil Nadu were for the plant to come up and the others opposed it raising environmental concerns.
Narayanasamy said despite endorsement of KNPP`s safety by two committees at the Centre and state and also former President A P J Abdul Kalam, "some NGOs are against the plant being commissioned as the Centre found they are receiving funds from abroad".
He also requested anti-nuclear protesters to give up their agitation "as all safety parameters have been taken care of".
Meanwhile, 50 Periyar Dravidar Kazhagam activists were arrested when they damaged a banner near a hotel and raised slogans against Narayanasamy and the Centre, protesting against commissioning of KNPP and the recent police firing in Tuticorin, in which a fisherman was killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video