Commissioning of KNPP can help TN ease power crisis: Govt
Coimbatore: Commissioning of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant can help Tamil Nadu ease the power crisis to some extent, especially in this hub of textile and MSMe, where the situation is `pathetic`, the Centre Monday said.
"Tamil Nadu needs more power and plants like KNPP can help ease the power shortage. The power situation in Coimbatore region, the hub of textile and MSMe units, is pathetic," Minister of State in PMO V Narayanasamy said at the fifth CEO conference, organised by the Southern India Mills Association here.
He claimed a survey by the Centre had revealed that 95 per cent of the people of Tamil Nadu were for the plant to come up and the others opposed it raising environmental concerns.
Narayanasamy said despite endorsement of KNPP`s safety by two committees at the Centre and state and also former President A P J Abdul Kalam, "some NGOs are against the plant being commissioned as the Centre found they are receiving funds from abroad".
He also requested anti-nuclear protesters to give up their agitation "as all safety parameters have been taken care of".
Meanwhile, 50 Periyar Dravidar Kazhagam activists were arrested when they damaged a banner near a hotel and raised slogans against Narayanasamy and the Centre, protesting against commissioning of KNPP and the recent police firing in Tuticorin, in which a fisherman was killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting underway - Big prestige battle for BJP and Shiv Sena
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai, BJP gains lead in Pune; NCP wins 4 seats in Ulhasnagar