`Compensate kin of fishermen killed by SL navy`
Rameswaram: Manithaneya Makkal Katchi has urged the Centre to file a case against Sri Lankan government in the International Criminal Court of Justice to get compensation for families of Tamil Nadu fishermen killed and injured allegedly by the island nation`s navy.
Speaking to reporters here, Party President Dr MH Jawahirullah, said more than 500 fishermen from the state had been killed and more than 3000 injured in attacks over a period of time. Though state police had registered several cases in this regard, affected families could not able get suitable compensation from Sri Lanka, he said.
He pointed to the Italian government offering Rs one crore each as compensation to the families of two Indian fishermen shot dead by two Italian marines on board Enrica Lexie and said that similar compensation should be provided to families of fishermen killed and injured by Lankan navy.
Jawahirullah, representing Ramanathapuram constituency, said he had raised the issue in the Tamil Nadu assembly and demanded that the State government pressurize the Centre to file a lawsuit against Lanka in ICC to get compensation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda