`Compensate kin of fishermen killed by SL navy`
Rameswaram: Manithaneya Makkal Katchi has urged the Centre to file a case against Sri Lankan government in the International Criminal Court of Justice to get compensation for families of Tamil Nadu fishermen killed and injured allegedly by the island nation`s navy.
Speaking to reporters here, Party President Dr MH Jawahirullah, said more than 500 fishermen from the state had been killed and more than 3000 injured in attacks over a period of time. Though state police had registered several cases in this regard, affected families could not able get suitable compensation from Sri Lanka, he said.
He pointed to the Italian government offering Rs one crore each as compensation to the families of two Indian fishermen shot dead by two Italian marines on board Enrica Lexie and said that similar compensation should be provided to families of fishermen killed and injured by Lankan navy.
Jawahirullah, representing Ramanathapuram constituency, said he had raised the issue in the Tamil Nadu assembly and demanded that the State government pressurize the Centre to file a lawsuit against Lanka in ICC to get compensation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest