`Compensate kin of fishermen killed by SL navy`
Rameswaram: Manithaneya Makkal Katchi has urged the Centre to file a case against Sri Lankan government in the International Criminal Court of Justice to get compensation for families of Tamil Nadu fishermen killed and injured allegedly by the island nation`s navy.
Speaking to reporters here, Party President Dr MH Jawahirullah, said more than 500 fishermen from the state had been killed and more than 3000 injured in attacks over a period of time. Though state police had registered several cases in this regard, affected families could not able get suitable compensation from Sri Lanka, he said.
He pointed to the Italian government offering Rs one crore each as compensation to the families of two Indian fishermen shot dead by two Italian marines on board Enrica Lexie and said that similar compensation should be provided to families of fishermen killed and injured by Lankan navy.
Jawahirullah, representing Ramanathapuram constituency, said he had raised the issue in the Tamil Nadu assembly and demanded that the State government pressurize the Centre to file a lawsuit against Lanka in ICC to get compensation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’