Compound wall of church partially demolished
Salem: The compound wall of a church near here was on Saturday partially demolished by revenue officials, triggering protests by people.
Revenue officials said they demolished the wall of the Church of South India at Hasthampatty as it was constructed on `poramboke` (government) land.
However, church officials said the wall was constructed on land belonging to the church.
About 50 feet of the wall was demolished using an earth mover, but the operations were stopped following protests by people. In addition to a church, the CSI is running a school for the mentally challenged, teachers` training school and a home for poor in the area.
Officials led by Salem Tahsildhar Suresh demanded they be shown the land records, to which church authorities said they needed few days` time as documents were at the Coimbatore diocesan office.
Church authorities have lodged a complaint with police, protesting the "illegal" entry and demolition of church property, church sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video