Compound wall of church partially demolished
Salem: The compound wall of a church near here was on Saturday partially demolished by revenue officials, triggering protests by people.
Revenue officials said they demolished the wall of the Church of South India at Hasthampatty as it was constructed on `poramboke` (government) land.
However, church officials said the wall was constructed on land belonging to the church.
About 50 feet of the wall was demolished using an earth mover, but the operations were stopped following protests by people. In addition to a church, the CSI is running a school for the mentally challenged, teachers` training school and a home for poor in the area.
Officials led by Salem Tahsildhar Suresh demanded they be shown the land records, to which church authorities said they needed few days` time as documents were at the Coimbatore diocesan office.
Church authorities have lodged a complaint with police, protesting the "illegal" entry and demolition of church property, church sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack