Compound wall of church partially demolished
Salem: The compound wall of a church near here was on Saturday partially demolished by revenue officials, triggering protests by people.
Revenue officials said they demolished the wall of the Church of South India at Hasthampatty as it was constructed on `poramboke` (government) land.
However, church officials said the wall was constructed on land belonging to the church.
About 50 feet of the wall was demolished using an earth mover, but the operations were stopped following protests by people. In addition to a church, the CSI is running a school for the mentally challenged, teachers` training school and a home for poor in the area.
Officials led by Salem Tahsildhar Suresh demanded they be shown the land records, to which church authorities said they needed few days` time as documents were at the Coimbatore diocesan office.
Church authorities have lodged a complaint with police, protesting the "illegal" entry and demolition of church property, church sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?