‘Confident of commissioning KNPP in two months’
Madurai: The Centre on Saturday said it is
confident of commissioning the first unit of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project to generate 1,000 MW of power in two
months as 99 per cent of its works are over.
Talking to reporters here, Union Minister of State in the
PMO V Narayanaswamy said, "We only need to load uranium in the
first unit for its functioning".
Regarding the second unit, he said only five per cent
works remain to be completed and almost all construction
activities were over.
He said the Centre was looking into Tamil Nadu`s demand
for allocation of entire power to be generated from the KNPP
to the state.
"It is under the serious consideration of Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh," he said, and hoped that a good decision will
be taken on the matter.
He said "as of now" Tamil Nadu government would get 965
MW of power from the two units.
Narayanaswamy said India voted in favour of a resolution
in UNHRC against Sri Lanka last month for alleged war crimes
as "we were unhappy" with the neighbouring country for not
implementing the rehabilitation programmes for the war-hit
On the issue of alleged attacks on Tamil fishermen by Sri
Lankan Navy, he said talks were going on between fishermen
associations of the two countries.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and External Affairs
Minister S M Krishna are closely monitoring the rehabilitation
programmes for Tamils in Sri Lanka, the minister said.
India had allocated money for railway projects, power
project and housing schemes in Sri Lanka for the benefit of
Tamils, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!