‘Confident of commissioning KNPP in two months’
Madurai: The Centre on Saturday said it is
confident of commissioning the first unit of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project to generate 1,000 MW of power in two
months as 99 per cent of its works are over.
Talking to reporters here, Union Minister of State in the
PMO V Narayanaswamy said, "We only need to load uranium in the
first unit for its functioning".
Regarding the second unit, he said only five per cent
works remain to be completed and almost all construction
activities were over.
He said the Centre was looking into Tamil Nadu`s demand
for allocation of entire power to be generated from the KNPP
to the state.
"It is under the serious consideration of Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh," he said, and hoped that a good decision will
be taken on the matter.
He said "as of now" Tamil Nadu government would get 965
MW of power from the two units.
Narayanaswamy said India voted in favour of a resolution
in UNHRC against Sri Lanka last month for alleged war crimes
as "we were unhappy" with the neighbouring country for not
implementing the rehabilitation programmes for the war-hit
On the issue of alleged attacks on Tamil fishermen by Sri
Lankan Navy, he said talks were going on between fishermen
associations of the two countries.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and External Affairs
Minister S M Krishna are closely monitoring the rehabilitation
programmes for Tamils in Sri Lanka, the minister said.
India had allocated money for railway projects, power
project and housing schemes in Sri Lanka for the benefit of
Tamils, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical