Confident that change will happen at the Centre: Jayalalithaa
Chennai: Amid the "Jaya for PM chorus", Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Saturday expressed confidence that a change would happen at the Centre so that she could deliver more for the people of her state.
Launching a series of government initiatives, including a Pongal package and free saree-dhoti scheme besides other projects at Coonoor in the hill district of Nilgiris, she said while efforts were being taken to malign her government with false allegations, it was working with the sole aim of being with the people.
People were also giving her "unflinching support," she said.
Referring to her government`s various schemes such as the solar-powered houses and free laptops to students, among others, she said there were many more "responsibilities and duties remaining" to be done for Tamil Nadu and its people.
"If they have to be implemented, changes should happen at the (all) India level. With your unflinching support, I am confident that that change will happen," she said.
Jayalalithaa has been eyeing a bigger political role at the national level after the Lok Sabha elections, due this year, and has been exhorting her partymen to work towards winning all 40 seats, 39 in Tamil Nadu and one in Puducherry, for this purpose.
Amidst the "Jaya for PM chorus" AIADMK`s decision-making bodies, Executive and General Council, had in their December 19, 2013 meeting, projected the party general secretary as a leader "qualified" to lead India and vowed to work towards ensuring a favourable situation in this regard.
Expressing joy over launching the Pongal package, which contains one kg of rice and sugar to make the sweet delicacy by the same name during the harvest festival, besides Rs 100 in cash, Jayalalithaa said she had earmarked Rs 281 crore for it despite the state`s "economic burden."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says