Cong MP`s plea to Railways Minister
Nagapattinam: Senior Congress leader and Rajya Sabha MP Mani Shankar Aiyar has requested the new Railways Minister Mukul Roy to revive the rail link between Mayiladuthurai and Tarangambadi in Nagapattinam district.
In a representation to the Minister, Aiyar pointed out that
Tarangambadi, which was a Danish colony from the 16th century
onwards, was a major tourist attraction.
Tarangambadi was earlier linked to Mayiladuthurai junction
by a meter gauge line which had been dismantled. If a broad
gauge line was laid in place of the earlier line, it would not
only help connectivity within the area but also enable
Southern Railways to consider the possibility of linking
Tarangambadi to Karaikal, he said.
In the process, the two major minority shrines of
Velankanni of the Christians and Nagor Sharif for Muslims
would also be linked with the numerous Hindu shrines in the
area besides other places of pilgrimage located in the
adjoining districts of Thanjavur and Tiruvarur, he said.
Among other demands, Aiyar also urged the Minister to
revive the Kumbakonam-Mayiladuthurai-Chennai passenger, which
was running during daytime in the meter gauge era.
A train service was required to connect Nagore with
Bangalore via Mayiladuthurai, Chidambaram, Cuddalore and
Vriddachalam. This service used to exist earlier but was
terminated when broad gauging was being undertaken, he said in
the representation, copy of which was made available here
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes