`Cong out of power in TN due to lack of unity among partymen`
Chennai: Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Sunday said there is a feeling of regret among Congress workers as the party could not return to power in Tamil Nadu since 1967 due to "lack of unity" among them.
"While the party had secured both victory and defeat alternatively in Rajasthan and Assam, there is a feeling of regret among partymen it could not come to power in Tamil Nadu since 1967", he said, addressing party workers at a function to celebrate the centenary of former Speaker Chellapandian.
"It is our mistake because of lack of unity and lack of new leadership and gradually losing the fighting spirit", he said in the presence of senior Congress leaders and Union Ministers Jayanthi Natarajan and GK Vasan.
"There is no other way but to appoint a new breed of youngsters at the grassroot level if Congress has to regain power in the State," Chidambaram said, adding, the party is facing several challenges.
Noting that party men have accepted Rahul Gandhi as their leader, he said the Tamil Nadu Congress should appoint youngsters at the grassroot level with the same maturity.
"You should appoint youngsters as Congress leaders at the panchayat and district level so that the party will get new blood and new strength," he said.
Observing partymen had accepted youngsters as leaders, he said," while implementing we hesitate to do so."
"I am appealing to all of you to cooperate with Tamil Nadu Congress Committee in the appointment of new leaders in all districts and panchayats", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan