Congress backs DMK candidate in S`kovil bypoll
Chennai: Congress on Monday decided to support DMK in the March 18 bypoll to Sankarankovil Assembly constituency.
Tamil Nadu Congress Committee president BS Gnanadesikan said that Congress General Secretary and in-charge of party affairs in Tamil Nadu Ghulam Nabi Azad agreed to the proposal.
DMK president M Karunanidhi had yesterday hinted that his party was ready to consider fielding a common opposition RPT opposition candidate for the by election if all parties felt the need to prevent vote splitting.
DMK`s J Jawahar Suryakumar is pitted against ruling AIADMK`s S Muthuselvi, chairperson of Sankarankovil Municipality in the bypoll, which has been necessitated by the death of state minister C Karuppasamy.
Vijaykant-led DMDK is yet to take a decision on fielding its candidate, while MDMK has announced that former MLA Sathan Thirumalai Kumar would be its candidate for the bypoll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?