Congress MLA bats for quota for transgenders
Chennai: A Congress MLA on Wednesday made an appeal in the Tamil Nadu Assembly for providing a "small reservation" for transgenders in education and jobs in the state.
A quota regime akin to the one extended for minorities could be considered for the "sexual minorities," S Vijayadharani said during the Question Hour.
Such a measure, she said, would augur well for the transgender community, instill confidence and contribute towards their economic independence.
The MLA wanted to know if such a plan would be legally feasible.
Replying to the appeal, Social Welfare Minister B Valarmathi listed several welfare measures of the government for transgenders.
"For the first time in India, it was only our Chief Minister who had sanctioned pension for the destitute transgenders," she said.
Destitute transgenders over 40 years of age are being provided pension of Rs 1,000. During 2012-13, 500 transgenders were provided pension and 740 transgenders benefited during the current fiscal.
Earlier, replying to A Narayanan (AIADMK), the Minister said the allocation for welfare of transgenders was increased to Rs 2.28 crore during 2013-14. During 2011-12 and 12-13, allocation was Rs one crore (for each year), she noted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!