Congress sidesteps Jaya`s demand over alleged fertiliser scam
New Delhi: Congress Thursday steered clear of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa`s demand that Union Minister and DMK leader M K Alagiri be sacked for "windfall" profits of Rs 1,000 crore to fertiliser firms in the alleged fertiliser subsidy scam.
"Till I get all the information, I do not want to comment," party spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary told reporters here.
She was asked to comment on the AIADMK chief`s demand seeking the dismissal of Alagiri from the Union Council of Ministers.
Jayalalithaa, who misses no opportunity to target her arch rival Karunanidhi`s family, demanded that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh drop Alagiri from the ministry, order a CBI probe into the issue and take action against the guilty.
She said Alagiri had failed to act on Minister of State for Fertiliser Srikant Jena`s note alerting him about the irregularities and asking him to prevent the loss of Rs 1,000 crore to the government and the farmers.
Jayalalithaa said she had written to Singh on June 26 last year seeking a change in the Centre`s fertiliser policy, but no action was taken.
Questioning Alagiri`s silence on the issue, she said the people were wondering whether his "keeping mum amounts to admission (to the corruption)".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail