Consider leave applications of prisoners as per rules: HC
Madurai: The Madras High Court bench on Wednesday ruled that pendency of Special Leave Petitions was not a ground to refuse emergency leave for a prisoner under Tamil Nadu Suspension of Sentence Rules-1982.
Justice N Paul Vasanthakumar and Justice P Devadoss said "there is no prohibition in the Tamil Nadu Suspension of Sentence Rules-1982 to grant leave" and asked Additional Director General of Prisons and Superintendents of Central prisons and special women prisons to take note of this mandate of law in considering emergency leave applications and process them on merits in accordance with law.
Disposing a petition filed by one Pooranam, mother of prisoner Muthu, who is confined to the central prisons here, the judges referred to the Supreme Court judgement and said "a person in prison does not cease to be a human being and lose all his human rights and it is the duty of the state to take care of his justifiable needs and requests."
"The longing of a lifer to see his ailing father, whose general condition has worsened, has to be approached with a humane touch. Such requests, as made by the petitioner who wanted her son to meet his ailing father, must be considered liberally on humanitarian ground.", the judges said.
The Judges said as per rules, for the penury stricken prisoners, the government should bear the escort costs. It was the duty of the state to ensure safety of prisoners and for that the state could collect money from them.
The Judges directed that Muthu be accorded four days of emergency leave and Superintendent of the Central Prison to give necessary police protection during the days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations