Constitute Cauvery Management Board: TN
Chennai: The Tamil Nadu government on Friday requested the Centre to constitute the Cauvery Management Board and Cauvery Water Regulation committee to give effect to all provisions of the final award of the Cauvery water Disputes Tribunal.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa thanked him for notification of the award and requested him to ensure the other provisions are also given effect.
"Now that the Government of India, Ministry of Water Resources, has notified the Final Order of the Tribunal in the Gazette of India, it is binding on all the parties to the dispute," she said, adding the decision of the Tribunal after it is published in the Gazette of India will have the same effect as that of an Order or a Decree of the Supreme Court.
The final award of the CWDT was notified on February 20.
Jayalalithaa said the Tribunal has concluded it would be absolutely necessary to establish a mechanism which should be entrusted with the function/supervision/operation of reservoirs and with regulation of water releases and had accordingly recommended establishment of a CMB and a Cauvery Water Regulation Committee.
"In the circumstances, I request you to kindly ensure that the Ministry of Water Resources constitutes a Cauvery Management Board and a Cauvery Water Regulation Committee forthwith so as to give effect to all the provisions of the Final Order of the Tribunal," she said, adding she would be "thankful" for "immediate positive response" by the Prime Minister.
Jayalalithaa`s demand comes amidst strong opposition from her Karnataka counterpart Jagadish Shettar, who had urged the Centre on Februrary 20 not to constitute the CMB till disposal of civil appeals filed by the state in the Supreme Court.
He had said constitution of the Board is the sole prerogative of the Centre under Section 6A of the Act of 1956 and that there is no law to say it has to be constituted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA