Contractor`s car found gutted at KNPP site
Kudankulam/Tuticorin: In what is suspected to be the handiwork of anti-nuclear activists, a car of a contractor working at the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project site was found gutted Wednesday, as protesters met to draw up a strategy to oppose loading of fuel in the reactor.
The car of civil engineering contractor, Subramanian, who was undertaking work at the KNPP complex, was found destroyed in a fire in front of his house early this morning with police suspecting the hand of anti-nuclear activists in it.
Police said the incident is being probed.
Meanwhile, fishermen from coastal villages of Rameswaram, Kanyakumari and Tuticorin met members of Peoples Movement Against Nuclear Energy, spearheading the stir against the KNPP, at Tuticorin to discuss the second phase of the stir.
After the meeting, fishermen representatives said a decision on when they would lay siege to the plant would be taken by tomorrow.
Top office bearers of PMANE, including its convener S P Udhayakumar and Pushaparayan, who were at Koothakuzhi, could not attend the meeting. But another member Arimavalavan participated.
On September 10, anti-nuclear activists tried to lay siege to the plant but were thwarted by police, prompting police to lob teargas shells and use canes to quell them.
It has already been decided to picket the Tuticorin Port with mechanised fishing boats on a date to be announced as part of the second phase of agitation. But a decision about picketing the plant and the mode of agitation would be taken by tomorrow, sources said.
Fishermen representatives said some resolutions were passed at today`s meeting. These included demand for lifting of prohibitory orders around seven km radius of KNPP at Idinthakarai, talks with the Chief Minister and a probe into the September 10 incidents.
Udayakumar, who is evading arrest since the September 10 incidents, had said yesterday that PMANE`s strategy committee would soon take a decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow