Convene Cauvery River Authority meet: Jayalalithaa
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa has urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to immediately convene a meeting of the Cauvery River Authority to decide on various issues relating to sharing of the river between Tamil Nadu and Karnataka.
In a letter to the PM on Friday, the text of which was released to media here on Saturday, Jayalalithaa said: "The Cauvery River Authority last met on 10.2.2003 and its meeting is long overdue."
She said the Karnataka government is not ensuring the flow in the Cauvery river during June to September as per the monthly pattern prescribed in the interim order in force or as per the final order of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal.
"Further, the Government of Karnataka has been unjustly utilising the water for summer irrigation from February to May by depleting the storage in its four major reservoirs," Jayalalithaa said.
Owing to depletion of storage during summer months, Karnataka impounds all the initial monsoon flows in its reservoirs and releases water only when they start surplusing, thus affecting the inflows into the Mettur Dam, which consequently affects the crops very badly in Tamil Nadu, Jayalalithaa said.
Citing the interim order of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal restraining Karnataka from increasing its area under cultivation beyond 11.20 lakh acres, Jayalalithaa said Karnataka is not furnishing year-wise details of area under irrigation.
According Jayalalithaa, Tamil Nadu may face distress condition any time now and hence a meeting of the Cauvery River Authority has to be convened to consider the distress sharing formula.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!