Corporations evolve development plans in TN
Coimbatore: Mayors and officials of three major city corporations in the country on Tuesday sought evolving development plans considering the diverse geography, season and topography of the region, for its successful implementation.
Addressing a one day seminar on "Climate resilient action: accelarating urban investments and finance in India" here, S Chauhan, Mayor, Shimla Muncipal Corporation said with diverse cultures, seasons prevailing in different cities and region, it would not be fair to compare new corporations to older ones, like Shimla, which is 150 year old.
There must be two types of plan, one for the cities and corporations with more than 100 years and other one for newer generation, so that the effect of climate change could be tackled well, Chauhan said.
RA Rajeev, Commissioner, Thane Muncipal Commissioner, said most of the proposals for the JNNURM was prepared in a hurry to get immediate approval.
At least it should have been shaped in an integrated and holistic way considering the long term need for the infrastructure, at least till 2050, he said.
MA Azeem, Commissioner, Vijayawada Municipal Commissioner, said majority of the corporations was good in preparing proposals, but very poor in implementing them for want of finances. Because there was a mismatch between receipts and expenditure, he claimed.
In his opening remarks, City Corporation Mayor S M Velusamy said while solid waste management proved to be a challenging task in India, the city has endeavoured to segregte the 800 metric tonnes of garbage being collected daily and disposing them of by adopting scientific methods thereby converting 20 per cent of the garbage into manure without affecting the environmental ecology.
The seminar was organised by Cities Development Initiative for Asia, Rockfeller Foundation and ICLEI, the local Governments for Sustainability.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi