Couple arrested for smuggling Rs 75 L gold biscuits
Chennai: A software engineer couple was arrested at Kamaraj domestic air terminal here on Friday when they tried to smuggle Rs 75 lakh worth gold biscuits on board a Madurai bound flight, police said.
Kannan and Valli, both software engineers had arrived from
U.S.A via Dubai early this morning and were about to board a
Madurai-bound flight at 8.40 AM when CISF personnel found
2.360 kg of gold biscuits hidden under the woman`s clothes,
They were arrested on the charge of smuggling gold into
the country without proper documents and the gold biscuits
handed over to Customs officials, they said.
Meanwhile, the CISF, which mans security at all airports
in the country, began an enquiry into how its personnel had
failed to detect the presence of the gold biscuits when the
the couple arrived here from the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj