Court adjourns recording of Sasikala` statement
Bangalore: A special court trying the
disproportionate assets case against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister
J Jayalalithaa on Thursday adjourned to February 18, recording of
statement of estranged aide and co-accused Sasikala Natarajan.
Judge BM Mallikarjunaiah adjourned to February 18,
recording of her statement under Section 313 of CrPC, allowing
a petition by her counsel C Manishankar under Sec 309 of the
CrPC, seeking adjournment.
Manishankar submitted they had filed a Special Leave
Petition in the Supreme Court challenging the Feb 3 High Court
dismissal of her petition on the translation process, which
was listed for hearing on Thursday.
Allowing the petition, the court adjourned the matter and
directed that the interpreter Harish be present on that day.
Sasikala and Ilavarasi, the fourth accused, were present
On Feb 3 Justice N Ananda had upheld the trial court
order on the petition and observed that there need not be any
"interference" with the lower court order and dismissed it.
On December 16, Sasikala`s counsel Thulasi had filed the
criminal petition seeking translated versions of questions
framed by the court to be kept ready in Tamil.
When the petition subsequently came up for hearing in the
High Court on Dec 19, Justice of BV Pinto granted six weeks
stay on proceedings against Sasikala in the Special Court.
The case relates to accumulation of wealth allegedly
disproportionate to her known sources of income by
Jayalalithaa when she was Chief Minister in 1991-96.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17