Court issues NBW against Vijaykanth
Tirunelveli: A local court on Wednesday issued a non-bailable arrest warrant against DMDK founder and Leader of the Opposition in Tamil Nadu Assembly Vijaykanth after he failed to appear before it in connection with a defamation case filed by the Jayalalithaa government.
Additional district court directed the police to arrest the actor-politician and produce him before it before June 5.
The government advocate has filed the case accusing Vijaykanth of making defamatory remarks against Chief Minister Jayalalithaa during a public meeting at Palayamkottai here on August 6 last year.
The court had earlier issued notice to Vijaykanth directing him to appear today. Meanwhile, in Chennai, DMDK said Vijaykanth would appear before the court tomorrow.
Terming the warrant as "unexpected", the party in a statement said Vijayakanth`s urgent meeting with his party MLAs to discuss the issue of them not being allowed to initiate debates in the assembly was the reason for the non- appearance of their leader in the court.
It said Vijaykanth had no intention of disrespecting court orders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur