Court issues NBW against Vijaykanth
Tirunelveli: A local court on Wednesday issued a non-bailable arrest warrant against DMDK founder and Leader of the Opposition in Tamil Nadu Assembly Vijaykanth after he failed to appear before it in connection with a defamation case filed by the Jayalalithaa government.
Additional district court directed the police to arrest the actor-politician and produce him before it before June 5.
The government advocate has filed the case accusing Vijaykanth of making defamatory remarks against Chief Minister Jayalalithaa during a public meeting at Palayamkottai here on August 6 last year.
The court had earlier issued notice to Vijaykanth directing him to appear today. Meanwhile, in Chennai, DMDK said Vijaykanth would appear before the court tomorrow.
Terming the warrant as "unexpected", the party in a statement said Vijayakanth`s urgent meeting with his party MLAs to discuss the issue of them not being allowed to initiate debates in the assembly was the reason for the non- appearance of their leader in the court.
It said Vijaykanth had no intention of disrespecting court orders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical