Court rejects bail plea of 35 MV Seaman Guard Ohio crew members
Tuticorin: A local court on Wednesday dismissed the bail petitions of the 35 crew members of the detained US ship MV Seaman Guard Ohio, arrested on October 18 on charges of illegally carrying arms and straying into Indian waters.
Sessions Judge Paul Durai rejected their bail petitions when the matter came up for hearing before him.
The 35 crew members of the vessel were arrested by the Tamil Nadu Police after the ship was intercepted by coast guard on October 12. The ship crew was also accused of illegal purchase of diesel from local agents.
They have been booked under Arms Act and Essential Commodities Act.
Twenty two foreign nationals among the crew are lodged in the Chennai Puzhal Central prison while another from UK and 12 Indians are in the Palayalamkottai Central Prison in Tirunelveli under judicial remand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Dope scandal: Narsingh Yadav's Rio Olympics fate hangs in balance as NADA set to pronounce verdict today
- Indo-US counter-terrorism joint working group to meet today
- Hillary Clinton more qualified than anyone to serve as US president: Barack Obama
- Rahul Gandhi likely to speak on price rise in Lok Sabha today
- 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case: Ten years later, MCOCA court likely to deliver verdict today