Court scuffle case: Madras HC grants anticipatory bail to Vijaykanth
Madurai: The Madras High Court on Monday granted conditional anticipatory bail to actor-turned politician Vijaykanth in a case related to unruly behaviour during his recent appearance in a court in Kanyakumari district.
Allowing the application of the DMDK leader, Justice R Mala of the Madurai bench of the High Court observed that if the allegations against the petitioner that he acted in a manner leading to trouble were true, it was condemnable.
"Being the Leader of the Opposition in the Assembly, he should have abided by the rules," she said.
Vijaykanth had moved the court apprehending arrest in the case registered in connection with the July 1 incident when his supporters, lawyers and government public prosecutors exchanged blows and indulged in noisy scenes in a court in Kanyakmari where he appeared in a defamation case.
Granting bail, the judge imposed conditions that Vijaykanth shall not interfere with the investigation and appear before the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate in Chennai every day.
She also directed him to furnish a personal bond for Rs 10,000.
Earlier, Additional Advocate General Chellapandian, opposing the bail application, said the public prosecutor was assaulted and injured after Vijaykanth signalled to his supporters. He also interfered with the functioning of the court, the AAG charged.
After the scuffle, when Vijaykanth appeared before the court in the defamation case filed by the state government, police had on July 11 registered an FIR under IPC sections 147 A (causing serious injuries) and 506 (criminal intimidation) against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter