Court scuffle case: Madras HC grants anticipatory bail to Vijaykanth
Madurai: The Madras High Court on Monday granted conditional anticipatory bail to actor-turned politician Vijaykanth in a case related to unruly behaviour during his recent appearance in a court in Kanyakumari district.
Allowing the application of the DMDK leader, Justice R Mala of the Madurai bench of the High Court observed that if the allegations against the petitioner that he acted in a manner leading to trouble were true, it was condemnable.
"Being the Leader of the Opposition in the Assembly, he should have abided by the rules," she said.
Vijaykanth had moved the court apprehending arrest in the case registered in connection with the July 1 incident when his supporters, lawyers and government public prosecutors exchanged blows and indulged in noisy scenes in a court in Kanyakmari where he appeared in a defamation case.
Granting bail, the judge imposed conditions that Vijaykanth shall not interfere with the investigation and appear before the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate in Chennai every day.
She also directed him to furnish a personal bond for Rs 10,000.
Earlier, Additional Advocate General Chellapandian, opposing the bail application, said the public prosecutor was assaulted and injured after Vijaykanth signalled to his supporters. He also interfered with the functioning of the court, the AAG charged.
After the scuffle, when Vijaykanth appeared before the court in the defamation case filed by the state government, police had on July 11 registered an FIR under IPC sections 147 A (causing serious injuries) and 506 (criminal intimidation) against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'