CPI workers arrested for staging rail roko
Thanjavur: About 500 CPI activists, including CPI state secretary D Pandian, were arrested here on tuesday for trying to block trains, demanding continuous release of water to Tamil Nadu as per the orders of the Cauvery River Authority.
Karnataka had stopped release of water to Tamil Nadu, citing low storage in the K R S reservoir, yesterday.
Besides Thanjavur, the activists also blocked trains at different places including Tiruvarur and Mayiladuthurai, police said.
Pandian said the Central government should declare the Krishna Raja Sagar and Kabini dam areas as "disturbed area" and strict action should be taken against those who prevented release of water or agitated against release.
He said that all parties should unite and fight for the rights of the Cauvery water.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan