CPI workers arrested for staging rail roko
Thanjavur: About 500 CPI activists, including CPI state secretary D Pandian, were arrested here on tuesday for trying to block trains, demanding continuous release of water to Tamil Nadu as per the orders of the Cauvery River Authority.
Karnataka had stopped release of water to Tamil Nadu, citing low storage in the K R S reservoir, yesterday.
Besides Thanjavur, the activists also blocked trains at different places including Tiruvarur and Mayiladuthurai, police said.
Pandian said the Central government should declare the Krishna Raja Sagar and Kabini dam areas as "disturbed area" and strict action should be taken against those who prevented release of water or agitated against release.
He said that all parties should unite and fight for the rights of the Cauvery water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Philippines police chief says 300 officers involved in drugs
- Nissan may introduce electric sports car by 2020
- PM Modi condoles former Singapore President Nathan's death
- No. 1 in Tests: Pakistan cricket team's rise completes journey from isolation to triumph
- Oh fresh! Check out Ranveer Singh, Vaani Kapoor's chemistry in this latest still from 'Befikre'