CPI workers arrested for staging rail roko
Thanjavur: About 500 CPI activists, including CPI state secretary D Pandian, were arrested here on tuesday for trying to block trains, demanding continuous release of water to Tamil Nadu as per the orders of the Cauvery River Authority.
Karnataka had stopped release of water to Tamil Nadu, citing low storage in the K R S reservoir, yesterday.
Besides Thanjavur, the activists also blocked trains at different places including Tiruvarur and Mayiladuthurai, police said.
Pandian said the Central government should declare the Krishna Raja Sagar and Kabini dam areas as "disturbed area" and strict action should be taken against those who prevented release of water or agitated against release.
He said that all parties should unite and fight for the rights of the Cauvery water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing