CPI workers arrested for staging rail roko
Thanjavur: About 500 CPI activists, including CPI state secretary D Pandian, were arrested here on tuesday for trying to block trains, demanding continuous release of water to Tamil Nadu as per the orders of the Cauvery River Authority.
Karnataka had stopped release of water to Tamil Nadu, citing low storage in the K R S reservoir, yesterday.
Besides Thanjavur, the activists also blocked trains at different places including Tiruvarur and Mayiladuthurai, police said.
Pandian said the Central government should declare the Krishna Raja Sagar and Kabini dam areas as "disturbed area" and strict action should be taken against those who prevented release of water or agitated against release.
He said that all parties should unite and fight for the rights of the Cauvery water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?