CPI workers arrested for staging rail roko
Thanjavur: About 500 CPI activists, including CPI state secretary D Pandian, were arrested here on tuesday for trying to block trains, demanding continuous release of water to Tamil Nadu as per the orders of the Cauvery River Authority.
Karnataka had stopped release of water to Tamil Nadu, citing low storage in the K R S reservoir, yesterday.
Besides Thanjavur, the activists also blocked trains at different places including Tiruvarur and Mayiladuthurai, police said.
Pandian said the Central government should declare the Krishna Raja Sagar and Kabini dam areas as "disturbed area" and strict action should be taken against those who prevented release of water or agitated against release.
He said that all parties should unite and fight for the rights of the Cauvery water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them