CPI(M) announces candidates for TN assembly polls
Tiruchirapalli: An ally of the
Jayalalithaa-led AIADMK, on Tuesday released its candidates` list
to contest in 12 constituencies in the coming April 13
assembly polls in Tamil Nadu.
Announcing the names of the candidates after the state
executive council meeting here, CPI(M) State Secretary G
Ramakrishnan said there were eight graduates, one advocate and
two women among those nominated to contest the polls.
Among the twelve there were two sitting MLAs and the party
has disallowed candidates seeking a third term, he said.
Ramakrishnan said the coalition`s election plank would
focus mainly on price rise and the 2G Spectrum allocation scam
and other issues such as the frequent power cuts in the state,
the law and order situation, unemployment, the stagnation of
development in the agriculture sector and the "overall
bungling of the DMK rule in the past five years".
Slamming the DMK manifesto that promises freebies such as
mixies, grinders and lap tops if the combine is voted to
power, Ramakrishnan said "people have realised that the
freebies are all false and that the DMK manifesto has not made
a single mention about free lands to poor farmers. It is high
time there was a change of guard at Chennai and the party will
strive to bring Jayalalithaa-led governance in Tamil Nadu".
CPI(M)`s release of its candidate`s list is in contrast to
the situation last week when the party, along with CPI,
expressed unhappiness after its alliance party chief
Jayalalithaa `unilaterally` released AIADMK`s candidates list
that figured some locations where CPI(M) has a stronghold.
However, the issue was later sorted out with AIADMK poll
panel holding talks with CPI (M) and CPI.
According to an official release, senior CPI (M) leader A
Soundarajan would contest from Perambur constituency. K
Beemarao would contest in Maduravoyal constituency, while
Ramamurthy would compete from Vikravandi.
K Balakrishnan would contest from Chidambaram while
Dillibabu would seek election from Arur, it said.
Balabharathi would contest from Dindigul while Annadurai
would fight from Madurai constituency.
In Tirupur, K Thangavel would seek votes while Pazhani
would contest from Palayamkottai. Leema Rose would contest
from Vilavangadu while `Nagai` Mali would contest from
The candidate for the Periyakulam constituency would be
announced later, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days