CPI(M) protests over fuel price hike
Chennai: Around 300 CPI(M) workers, including a party MLA, were arrested for staging a rail-blockade protesting the recent hike in fuel prices.
According to police, CPI(M) legislator K Bhimrao and other party supporters were arrested from Guindy railway station here.
The workers squatted on rail tracks and raised slogans against the recent revision in fuel prices. However, rail services were not affected, police said.
Petrol price was on August 31 hiked by Rs 2.35 per litre and diesel by 50 paise even as an increase in rates of subsidised LPG price is likely next month in the bakcdrop of the falling rupee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video