CPI(M) slams suspension of Vijaykanth
Chennai: The CPI(M) on Sunday slammed the ruling
AIADMK government for the suspension of Opposition Leader and
DMDK chief Vijaykanth from the Assembly, terming it as an
"undemocratic" and an "unacceptable" approach.
CPI(M) State President G Ramakrishnan said subsequent to
the suspension of Vijaykanth from the Assembly for 10 days,
members were not even allowed for minimal discussions. These
actions show only the "undemocratic attitude" of the AIADMK
government, he said in a statement.
Noting that it was duty of an Opposition Leader to tell the
ruling government about public issues and also pinpoint the
mistakes (of the regime), he said, "things like evicting the
members, suspending them from the assembly are not
Vijaykanth was on Feb 2 suspended for 10 days after the
Privileges Committee went into the conduct of the DMDK leader
during a heated exchange with Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa.
CPI(M) alleged that only those who praised the government
were allowed to express their views freely during the State
assembly. "It is not democratic," it said.
"The way the AIADMK government handled the discussions that
took place over thanking the motion to the Governor`s address
has become a worry to those concerned about democracy," it
Considering all these issues, the party said, it has become
a necessity to safeguard parliamentary democracy in the
Assembly and requested the parties to uniformly give their
support in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...