CPI`s Raja to file nomination for RS seat on Monday
Chennai: Undaunted by refusal of support by the ruling AIADMK for its candidate in the June 27 biennial election to six Rajya Sabha seats in Tamil Nadu, the CPI on Sunday decided to field its sitting MP D Raja.
Raja would file his nomination papers tomorrow, before the deadline for submitting candidature ends, CPI All India General Secretary Sudhakar Reddy told a press conference here.
Reddy spiked reports in a section of the press that Raja has filed his nomination papers remarking "how can it happen. Today is Sunday. He (Raja) is preparing his nomination papers. Raja will file them tomorrow before 3 PM".
Though the Chief Minister and AIADMK supremo Jayalalithaa expressed her party`s inability to support CPI nominee Raja, the party`s Central Secretariat decided to contest the election, Reddy said.
CPI held its state executive here yesterday at which the issue of entering the RS poll fray and field Raja was endorsed, he said.
Reddy said CPI hoped that those parties who are not contesting the election and those who have surplus votes will support Raja candidature.
AIADMK by contesting five of the six seats has upset the calculations of CPI, which had earlier banked on the ruling dispensation support to Raja, for another term.
Reddy sought to duck a query on whether CPI would approach DMDK leader Vijayakanth for support to its candidate and said, "we welcome anybody to give votes. But at the moment, we do not have such plan to meet the DMDK leader".
DMK has already nominated its candidate Kanimozhi and has also been making efforts to lure other parties to ensure her victory for a second successive term.
DMDK has so far not decided on fielding its candidate though it is the principle opposition party and is yet to announce its plans for the upcoming RS election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video