CPI`s Raja to file nomination papers for Rajya Sabha seat today
Zee Media Bureau
Chennai: Veteran Communist Party of India (CPI) leader, D Raja, will file his nomination papers on Monday for contesting Rajya Sabha seat from Tamil Nadu against DMK president’s daughter Kanimozi.
Raja, who is also CPI’s national council secretary, was fielded by the party as its candidate for the Rajya Sabha polls on Sunday.
Raja would file his nomination papers today, before the deadline for submitting candidature ends, CPI All India General Secretary Sudhakar Reddy said.
Though the Chief Minister and AIADMK supremo Jayalalithaa expressed her party`s inability to support CPI nominee Raja, the party`s Central Secretariat decided to contest the election, Reddy said.
CPI held its state executive last week at which the issue of entering the RS poll fray and field Raja was endorsed, he said.
Reddy said CPI hoped that those parties who are not contesting the election and those who have surplus votes will support Raja candidature.
AIADMK by contesting five of the six seats has upset the calculations of CPI, which had earlier banked on the ruling dispensation support to Raja, for another term.
Reddy sought to duck a query on whether CPI would approach DMDK leader Vijayakanth for support to its candidate and said, "we welcome anybody to give votes. But at the moment, we do not have such plan to meet the DMDK leader".
DMK has already nominated its candidate Kanimozhi and has also been making efforts to lure other parties to ensure her victory for a second successive term.
DMDK has so far not decided on fielding its candidate though it is the principle opposition party and is yet to announce its plans for the upcoming RS election.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues