CPI`s Raja to file nomination papers for Rajya Sabha seat today
Zee Media Bureau
Chennai: Veteran Communist Party of India (CPI) leader, D Raja, will file his nomination papers on Monday for contesting Rajya Sabha seat from Tamil Nadu against DMK president’s daughter Kanimozi.
Raja, who is also CPI’s national council secretary, was fielded by the party as its candidate for the Rajya Sabha polls on Sunday.
Raja would file his nomination papers today, before the deadline for submitting candidature ends, CPI All India General Secretary Sudhakar Reddy said.
Though the Chief Minister and AIADMK supremo Jayalalithaa expressed her party`s inability to support CPI nominee Raja, the party`s Central Secretariat decided to contest the election, Reddy said.
CPI held its state executive last week at which the issue of entering the RS poll fray and field Raja was endorsed, he said.
Reddy said CPI hoped that those parties who are not contesting the election and those who have surplus votes will support Raja candidature.
AIADMK by contesting five of the six seats has upset the calculations of CPI, which had earlier banked on the ruling dispensation support to Raja, for another term.
Reddy sought to duck a query on whether CPI would approach DMDK leader Vijayakanth for support to its candidate and said, "we welcome anybody to give votes. But at the moment, we do not have such plan to meet the DMDK leader".
DMK has already nominated its candidate Kanimozhi and has also been making efforts to lure other parties to ensure her victory for a second successive term.
DMDK has so far not decided on fielding its candidate though it is the principle opposition party and is yet to announce its plans for the upcoming RS election.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read