Crackdown on land grabbings will continue: Jaya
Tuticorin (TN): Alleging largescale land
grabbing during the previous DMK regime, Tamil Nadu Chief
Minister Jayalalithaa on Thursday asserted that her government would
continue its crackdown on those involved in such acts.
Campaigning for the AIADMK candidates here for the next
week civic elections, she said during the assembly polls she
had promised to retore grabbed land to the rightful owners as
encroachments had taken place on a large scale during the
previous DMK regime.
"Land worth over Rs 625 crore has been retrived. Over
17,000 complaints have been recieved and 755 encroachers
arrested (since AIADMK came to power in May)," she said.
Canvassing votes for AIADMK Mayoral candidate for Tuticorin
corporation Sasikala Pushpa, Jayalalithaa said all legal steps
would be taken in connection with landgrab cases.
She said special police cells had been formed in all
districts and 25 special courts set up to deal with the cases.
A number of senior DMK leaders including former Minsters
Veerapandi S Arumugam, K N Nehru, K Ponmudi, J Anbazhagan MLA
are facing land grabbing charges.
Reiterating that her government was working on
"war-footing," to address the power shortage, she said power
cuts were gradually coming down and assured to turn the
state power cut-free by next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?