Crackdown on land grabbings will continue: Jaya
Tuticorin (TN): Alleging largescale land
grabbing during the previous DMK regime, Tamil Nadu Chief
Minister Jayalalithaa on Thursday asserted that her government would
continue its crackdown on those involved in such acts.
Campaigning for the AIADMK candidates here for the next
week civic elections, she said during the assembly polls she
had promised to retore grabbed land to the rightful owners as
encroachments had taken place on a large scale during the
previous DMK regime.
"Land worth over Rs 625 crore has been retrived. Over
17,000 complaints have been recieved and 755 encroachers
arrested (since AIADMK came to power in May)," she said.
Canvassing votes for AIADMK Mayoral candidate for Tuticorin
corporation Sasikala Pushpa, Jayalalithaa said all legal steps
would be taken in connection with landgrab cases.
She said special police cells had been formed in all
districts and 25 special courts set up to deal with the cases.
A number of senior DMK leaders including former Minsters
Veerapandi S Arumugam, K N Nehru, K Ponmudi, J Anbazhagan MLA
are facing land grabbing charges.
Reiterating that her government was working on
"war-footing," to address the power shortage, she said power
cuts were gradually coming down and assured to turn the
state power cut-free by next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown