Cracker unit raid: One succumbs to burns
Virudhunagar: A village administrative officer,
one of the eight who suffered serious burns after a fire broke
out during a raid at an illegal cracker unit near Sattur in
the district, has succumbed to his injuries, police said Wednesday.
Kumaraswamy, Sattur Village Administrative Officer, who was
part of the team which raided the unit where wicks stored in a
room caught fire, died late last night, sources said.
The officials were conducting raids in and around
Virudhunagar and Sivakasi following reports that illegal
cracker manufacturing units and godowns were being operated
at several places.
The condition of seven others, including a police
inspector, was stated to be serious, police said.
The fire had broken out in "Karunthiri" (wick) storeroom of
the unit at V Duraisamypuram when the officials were
conducting the raid yesterday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai