Cracker unit raid: One succumbs to burns
Virudhunagar: A village administrative officer,
one of the eight who suffered serious burns after a fire broke
out during a raid at an illegal cracker unit near Sattur in
the district, has succumbed to his injuries, police said Wednesday.
Kumaraswamy, Sattur Village Administrative Officer, who was
part of the team which raided the unit where wicks stored in a
room caught fire, died late last night, sources said.
The officials were conducting raids in and around
Virudhunagar and Sivakasi following reports that illegal
cracker manufacturing units and godowns were being operated
at several places.
The condition of seven others, including a police
inspector, was stated to be serious, police said.
The fire had broken out in "Karunthiri" (wick) storeroom of
the unit at V Duraisamypuram when the officials were
conducting the raid yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites