Cyclone dampens New Year celebrations for fisherfolk
Rameswaram: Protests over detention of five of their colleagues in Sri Lanka and rough sea conditions under the influence of severe cyclone `Thane` have brought a
sour end to the year for the fishermen of Rameswaram in south Tamil Nadu as they could not go for fishing for several days.
Fishermen here were cooling their heels on the shores
since the beginning of the month demanding the release of the
five and were unable to put out to sea for fishing in the past
one week following the rough sea conditions and inclement
weather, dampening Christmas and New Year celebrations.
"We have not been going to fishing from December 18 (when
the protest was intensified for the release of the five
fishermen). From December 25, we are not able to put out to
sea at all (due to inclement weather)," a fisherman said.
Thane, which initially formed as a low pressure in the Palk
Strait, intensified into the severe cyclonic storm and crossed
the Tamil Nadu coast near Cuddalore yesterday. Fishermen in
the costal districts were advised against venturing into sea.
Besides rough weather, fishermen in Tuticorin have also
been affected in view of the strife between mechanised boat
operators and country-craft fishermen. Though the dispute has
been resolved, they were yet to resume fishing, officials
As forecast by the Met officials, rough sea conditions
continued today also. Fisheries officials said though the
cyclone Thane crossed Tamil Nadu coast, sea and weather
conditions did not improve.
"While everybody will eagerly wait for the New Year, the
fisherfolk will have to encounter difficulties during the
time, an official of a fishermen association said.
Normal fishing activities were expected to resume only from
January 3, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly