Cyclone Nilam: Relief centres ready, rescue teams on standby
Chennai: Severe cyclonic storm `Nilam` reached the coast of Tamil Nadu and made a landfall near Mahabalipuram on Wednesday evening. According to a state government official, around 3,900 people in Mamallapuram have been lodged in 19 relief camps.
"The district has a clear contingency plan; each department including the police, fire and rescue services have been allotted specific work like clearing fallen trees, evacuating people etc. and all 21 cyclone shelters are ready," the Collector of Nagapattinam, Tamil Nadu, T Munusamy said.
In Chennai, 282 schools and 52 community halls have been kept ready for shelter. Four community kitchens are to be activated by the authorities.
As a precautionary measure control rooms have been opened in the coastal districts, particularly SPS Nellore and Prakasam.
In Nagapattinam and Cuddalore, cyclone shelters have been kept ready in with essential supplies. The government plans to send generators and sand bags to vulnerable areas in the districts.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users