Dalit youth in inter-cast love found dead
Chennai: The body a Dalit youth, reportedly in love with a Vanniyar girl and missing since last week, has been found in a village lake in Cuddalore District, the Madras High Court was informed on Wednesday.
When the Habeas Corpus petition filed by the father of the 20-year old M Gopalakrishnan came up for hearing, counsel for the petitioner M Radhakrishnan informed the court that the body of the missing person was found in a lake in Parathur.
In his petition, C Mayakishnan of Parathur submitted that his son, who was in love with the girl belonging to the backward class Vanniyar community, was missing since December 12.
He submitted that his enquiries with his son`s friends revealed that Gopalakrishnan was last seen with the girl in the evening of December 12.
When the matter came up for hearing before a Division Bench comprising Justices C Nagappan and M Sathyanarayanan, the Judges ordered notice to authorities.
Meanwhile, in the afternoon, the counsel for the petitioner informed the court that Gopalakrishnan`s body was found in the lake. The court then posted the matter for Friday.
On November 7 last, a mob of caste Hindus had torched 285 huts in three Dalit colonies in Dharmapuri district, after a belonging to Vanniyar caste committed suicide upset over his daughter marrying a Dalit boy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends