Dalit youth`s death: NCSC members visit Dharmapuri
Dharmapuri: A team of National Commission for Scheduled Castes arrived on Sunday to take stock of the situation in the wake of the death of Dalit youth Illavarasan, whose body was found on a railway track.
The team visited the medical college hospital where Ilavarasan`s body has been kept in the mortuary as per a High Court directive. It also visited Natham colony, from where the youth hailed, and met his parents.
Ilavarasan`s parents submitted a memorandum to the team listing several demands, including CBI probe into the death.
The High Court has directed the state government to preserve the body till Tuesday, when it will hear the matter again.
Referring to Ilavarasan`s death, a NCSC member Sivanna said they cannot make any decision as to whether it was a murder or suicide, and investigations by authorities are proceeding.
The member said commission is not satisfied with the execution of rehabilitation works for Dalit victims in the violence-hit areas and advised the district administration to expedite it.
The panel members later held discussions with the new District Collector K Vivekanandan, SP Asra Garg and other top officials.
The marriage of Ilavarasan and Divya, a Hindu girl, had triggered anti-Dalit violence in three villages of Dharmapuri district in November last.
His body was found along the railway track in Dharmapuri on Thursday, a day after the girl said she would never go back to him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!