Dalit youth`s death: NCSC members visit Dharmapuri
Dharmapuri: A team of National Commission for Scheduled Castes arrived on Sunday to take stock of the situation in the wake of the death of Dalit youth Illavarasan, whose body was found on a railway track.
The team visited the medical college hospital where Ilavarasan`s body has been kept in the mortuary as per a High Court directive. It also visited Natham colony, from where the youth hailed, and met his parents.
Ilavarasan`s parents submitted a memorandum to the team listing several demands, including CBI probe into the death.
The High Court has directed the state government to preserve the body till Tuesday, when it will hear the matter again.
Referring to Ilavarasan`s death, a NCSC member Sivanna said they cannot make any decision as to whether it was a murder or suicide, and investigations by authorities are proceeding.
The member said commission is not satisfied with the execution of rehabilitation works for Dalit victims in the violence-hit areas and advised the district administration to expedite it.
The panel members later held discussions with the new District Collector K Vivekanandan, SP Asra Garg and other top officials.
The marriage of Ilavarasan and Divya, a Hindu girl, had triggered anti-Dalit violence in three villages of Dharmapuri district in November last.
His body was found along the railway track in Dharmapuri on Thursday, a day after the girl said she would never go back to him.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram