`Dam demolition will break wall of natl integration`
Coimbatore: Kerala`s decision to construct a
new dam in place of Mullaperiyar would only `break the wall`
of national integration and create unrest in both states, MDMK
leader Vaiko said here today.
Speaking to reporters here, Vaiko claimed the Tamil Nadu
government had not objected to transfer of the case to a
constitution bench, resulting in the Supreme Court appointing
the Justice Anand committee to inspect and hear versions of
Alleging that Kerala`s hidden agenda was to demolish the
existing dam and build a new one, he said this would only
result in water not flowing to Tamil Nadu.
If this were to happed, nearly 2.17 lakh acres in Tamil
Nadu would not be irrigated and that state, which is totally
dependent on its neighbour for almost all essential
commodities, would not receive any of them, he said.
Vaiko urged the people of Kerala to prevail on their
government not to disturb the existing dam, to maintain the
cordial relationship with neighbouring states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Amartya Sen says Modi govt ousted him from Nalanda University
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends