Dam issue PM’s top priority: Sonia to MPs
New Delhi: Concerned over developments in
Tamil Nadu and Kerala over Mullaperiyar Dam row, Congress
President Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday asked people of both the states
to maintain peace and tranquillity till the Centre amicably
settles the issue.
Gandhi`s request came as some Congress MPs from Kerala
and Tamil Nadu met her at her Parliament House office to
inform her about the developments in the two neighbouring
states over the dispute.
Congress MPs including Union Minister K C Venugopal, P T
Thomas, Peethampara Kurup (all from Kerala) and Aron Rasheed
(Tamil Nadu) met Gandhi.
According to the MPs, Gandhi said respective state
Governments should take steps to maintain peace and
tranquillity in both the states.
She told them Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has given top
priority to amicably settle the issue, they said.
Both Tamil Nadu and Kerala are at loggerheads over the
116-year-old Dam built under the erstwhile British rule.
While Kerala is concerned over the safety of the Dam
situated in Idukki district, Tamil Nadu maintains that it is
"as good as new".
The dam`s water serves 5 districts of Tamil Nadu. The dam
is also managed by Tamil Nadu.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi