Dam issue PM’s top priority: Sonia to MPs
New Delhi: Concerned over developments in
Tamil Nadu and Kerala over Mullaperiyar Dam row, Congress
President Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday asked people of both the states
to maintain peace and tranquillity till the Centre amicably
settles the issue.
Gandhi`s request came as some Congress MPs from Kerala
and Tamil Nadu met her at her Parliament House office to
inform her about the developments in the two neighbouring
states over the dispute.
Congress MPs including Union Minister K C Venugopal, P T
Thomas, Peethampara Kurup (all from Kerala) and Aron Rasheed
(Tamil Nadu) met Gandhi.
According to the MPs, Gandhi said respective state
Governments should take steps to maintain peace and
tranquillity in both the states.
She told them Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has given top
priority to amicably settle the issue, they said.
Both Tamil Nadu and Kerala are at loggerheads over the
116-year-old Dam built under the erstwhile British rule.
While Kerala is concerned over the safety of the Dam
situated in Idukki district, Tamil Nadu maintains that it is
"as good as new".
The dam`s water serves 5 districts of Tamil Nadu. The dam
is also managed by Tamil Nadu.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Here's a docu-fiction on the journey of 'Sultan'! Watch video
- Vodafone tax case: HC allows penalty proceedings to go on
- EU leaders meet without Cameron over Brexit vote
- Gareth Southgate set to become the new England manager on temporary basis
- Jumbo takes flight! Eight key quotes from Anil Kumble's first press conference as India coach