Dam protestors lathicharged when try to enter Kerala
Theni: Police on Tuesday lathicharged
hundreds of people at the state border town of Gudalur when
they forcibly tried to enter Kerala, demanding adequate
protection to the 116-year-old Mullaperiyar Dam, over which
both Tamil Nadu and Kerala are locked in a row.
Police said the crowd pelted stones at them and tried to
force their way past a security cordon and go across to
Kerala, prompting them to use batons.
In a similar action on Monday, police had lathicharged
more than 4,000 protestors from 25 villages, who tried to
forcibly enter Kerala, demanding increasing the dam level from
136 feet to 142 feet as per orders of the Supreme Court.
Police also expressed concern about reported movement of
some suspected extremists on the Kerala side in Kumili and
other areas and said they had alerted their counterparts in
Meanwhile, local shop owners and people said they would not
provide food and water to police for "working against their
The Mullaperiyar Dam row has sparked tension between
Tamil Nadu and Kerala over building a new dam in place of the
existing one.Kerala insists a new dam is the only solution,
but Tamil Nadu maintains it is as good and safe as a new one.
The increase in tension had led to attacks on Tamils and
Keralites in some parts on both sides of the state borders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'