Day-long stir to be held against Sterlite plant
Chennai: A day-long general strike demanding permanent closure of the copper smelter plant of Sterlite Industries (India) Ltd will be held on Monday at Tuticorin, said MDMK party general secretary Vaiko Saturday.
The company is part of Britain-based Vedanta Resources Group.
In a statement issued here, MDMK founder Vaiko said the anti-Sterlite movement has called for a one-day general strike demanding the permanent closure of the copper smelter plant at Tuticorin, around 600 km from here.
"The protest against the plant is continuing in order to prevent the occurrence of another `Bhopal Gas` tragedy in Tuticorin," Vaiko said.
According to him, the copper concentrate imported by Sterlite from Australia has dangerous and poisonous elements like uranium and arsenic, among other toxic substances.
Vaiko said the Maharashtra government cancelled the licence to Sterlite`s copper smelter plant after the people of Ratnagiri district demolished the company`s office there. The governments of Gujarat and Goa did not allow the smelter plant.
He said the Supreme Court, while setting aside the 2010 Madras High Court order to shut down the copper smelter plant, has said the Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board (TNPCB) has the power to pass appropriate orders in connection with the plant.
On March 30, the TNPCB ordered the closure after sulphur-di-oxide leaked from the plant March 23, affecting a large number of residents of Tuticorin.
Sterlite has gone on appeal against the closure order at the National Green Tribunal.
The Supreme Court April 2, setting aside the Madras High Court order, allowed Sterlite`s copper smelting plant to continue operations, but asked it to deposit Rs 100 crore with the authorities to restore the environmental damage caused from 1997 to 2012.
Pointing to the various violations of environmental norms, the court said: "For such damages caused to the environment from 1997 to 2012 and for operating the plant without a valid renewal (of licence) for a fairly long period, the appellant-company obviously is liable to compensate by paying damages."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly