Death of Dalit boy: First round probe completed

Former High Court Judge SR Singaravelu, appointed by Tamil Nadu Government to probe death of Dalit-boy, said first round of investigation is over and summons would be issued to all involved in matter.

Dharmapuri (Tamil Nadu): Former High Court Judge SR Singaravelu, appointed by Tamil Nadu Government to probe the death of a Dalit-boy, said the first round of investigation is over and summons would be issued to all those involved in the matter.

"We will send the summons to everybody. Based upon the convenience of the officials and others involved in the matter, we will conduct an inquiry...," he told reporters here.

He said at least fifteen people would be inquired during the investigation process along with evidences.

"We hope to complete it faster", he said to a query on how long would it take to get the case completed. He said the next round of investigation would take place later this month.

Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa had last month ordered the Commission to probe the matter.

Ilavarasan was found dead near a railway track in Dharmapuri on July 4, a day after his wife Divya had said she would never go back to him and would stay with her mother.

Ilavarasan married Divya on October 14 last year after which her father committed suicide in November.

Divya`s mother had opposed the inter-caste marriage. Her marriage and her father`s suicide triggered violence in the three villages of Natham, Kondamapatty and Annanagar on November 7 last when about 296 huts belonging to Dalits were torched allegedly by the caste Hindus.

The violence drew national attention with several political leaders condemning it.

PTI