Deep depression weakens, crosses TN coast
Chennai: The deep depression over southwest Bay of Bengal weakened as a low pressure and crossed the coast between North Chennai and Nellore in the early hours of Monday, the weather office said here.
Since it turned out only to be a low pressure rather than a cyclonic storm as feared earlier, no damages were reported, police said.
Copious rains, brought by the storm `Jal`, yesterday disrupted normal life here and in other parts of Tamil Nadu inundating low-lying areas, while two persons were killed in rain-related incidents.
The weather office has said there will be heavy to moderate rains in one or two places in North Tamil Nadu.
Normalcy is limping back in rain-battered Chennai. There was a respite from rains right since early morning.
Most parts of Chennai experienced gusty winds throughout last night. Tidal waves were reported in many areas along the seashore in the city. In some places like Besant Nagar in south Chennai, waves had entered fishermen`s huts and the inmates had to be removed to safer places, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Bodo outfits to restart statehood movement on August 30
- 92 paise insurance premium for train travellers from August 31
- Saina Nehwal drops four places to be no.9, status quo for PV Sindhu
- Mauritius to remain major FDI source till March 2019: Experts
- Abhinav Bindra to head NRAI review committee on Rio debacle