Deep depression weakens, crosses TN coast
Chennai: The deep depression over southwest Bay of Bengal weakened as a low pressure and crossed the coast between North Chennai and Nellore in the early hours of Monday, the weather office said here.
Since it turned out only to be a low pressure rather than a cyclonic storm as feared earlier, no damages were reported, police said.
Copious rains, brought by the storm `Jal`, yesterday disrupted normal life here and in other parts of Tamil Nadu inundating low-lying areas, while two persons were killed in rain-related incidents.
The weather office has said there will be heavy to moderate rains in one or two places in North Tamil Nadu.
Normalcy is limping back in rain-battered Chennai. There was a respite from rains right since early morning.
Most parts of Chennai experienced gusty winds throughout last night. Tidal waves were reported in many areas along the seashore in the city. In some places like Besant Nagar in south Chennai, waves had entered fishermen`s huts and the inmates had to be removed to safer places, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Mayawati-Dayashankar Singh row: BJP women leaders to protest in Lucknow against BSP today
- Delhi Police arrests DP Yadav in connection with betting racket
- Sushma Swaraj to make last ditch effort to save Indian facing execution in Indonesia today
- Watch: Jeff Williams shares wide view of Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming from space!
- 1st Test, Day 3: Sri Lanka vs Australia - As it happened...