Deep depression weakens, crosses TN coast
Chennai: The deep depression over southwest Bay of Bengal weakened as a low pressure and crossed the coast between North Chennai and Nellore in the early hours of Monday, the weather office said here.
Since it turned out only to be a low pressure rather than a cyclonic storm as feared earlier, no damages were reported, police said.
Copious rains, brought by the storm `Jal`, yesterday disrupted normal life here and in other parts of Tamil Nadu inundating low-lying areas, while two persons were killed in rain-related incidents.
The weather office has said there will be heavy to moderate rains in one or two places in North Tamil Nadu.
Normalcy is limping back in rain-battered Chennai. There was a respite from rains right since early morning.
Most parts of Chennai experienced gusty winds throughout last night. Tidal waves were reported in many areas along the seashore in the city. In some places like Besant Nagar in south Chennai, waves had entered fishermen`s huts and the inmates had to be removed to safer places, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire