Deep depression weakens, crosses TN coast
Chennai: The deep depression over southwest Bay of Bengal weakened as a low pressure and crossed the coast between North Chennai and Nellore in the early hours of Monday, the weather office said here.
Since it turned out only to be a low pressure rather than a cyclonic storm as feared earlier, no damages were reported, police said.
Copious rains, brought by the storm `Jal`, yesterday disrupted normal life here and in other parts of Tamil Nadu inundating low-lying areas, while two persons were killed in rain-related incidents.
The weather office has said there will be heavy to moderate rains in one or two places in North Tamil Nadu.
Normalcy is limping back in rain-battered Chennai. There was a respite from rains right since early morning.
Most parts of Chennai experienced gusty winds throughout last night. Tidal waves were reported in many areas along the seashore in the city. In some places like Besant Nagar in south Chennai, waves had entered fishermen`s huts and the inmates had to be removed to safer places, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre