Deputy Commissioner Customs sentenced to 1 year imprisonment
New Delhi: A former deputy commissioner of Customs has been sentenced by special CBI court in Chennai to undergo one year rigorous imprisonment in a case of bribery, agency spokesperson said here today.
The official said the then Deputy Commissioner of Customs V S Sundararajan and then Appraiser of Customs D Ramani, both posted in Chennai, have been sentenced to undergo one year rigorous imprisonment with fine of Rs 6,000 each.
A case was registered on January 6, 2010 based on the complaint of a Proprietor of Cuddalore District alleging that V S Sundararajan, Deputy Commissioner of Customs, and D Ramani, an Appraising officer Customs both of Courier Cell, Air Cargo Complex Meenambakkam Chennai had conspired together and demanded a bribe of Rs 2,500 for clearing a consignment of the complainant, the statement said.
It said the complainant, who had imported two numbers of printed circuit boards, which were sent to Colombo for repair through an authorised courier service company, had approached the CBI with his plea.
"CBI laid a trap and both the accused were caught red handed while demanding and accepting the bribe amount from the complainant. After investigation, a chargesheet was filed before the Designated Court at Chennai. The Court found both the accused guilty and convicted them," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Hot scoop! THIS actress has replaced Alia Bhatt in Rohit Shetty's next?
- Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza keen on reducing Lionel Messi's workload
- Amarinder Singh makes fresh offer to Navjot Singh Sidhu, says he has Congress in his DNA
- Rio 2016: After golden Olympic run, Justin Rose returns to regular job
- Manohar Parrikar asks Navy Chief to probe Scorpene-class submarines documents leak