Deputy Commissioner Customs sentenced to 1 year imprisonment
New Delhi: A former deputy commissioner of Customs has been sentenced by special CBI court in Chennai to undergo one year rigorous imprisonment in a case of bribery, agency spokesperson said here today.
The official said the then Deputy Commissioner of Customs V S Sundararajan and then Appraiser of Customs D Ramani, both posted in Chennai, have been sentenced to undergo one year rigorous imprisonment with fine of Rs 6,000 each.
A case was registered on January 6, 2010 based on the complaint of a Proprietor of Cuddalore District alleging that V S Sundararajan, Deputy Commissioner of Customs, and D Ramani, an Appraising officer Customs both of Courier Cell, Air Cargo Complex Meenambakkam Chennai had conspired together and demanded a bribe of Rs 2,500 for clearing a consignment of the complainant, the statement said.
It said the complainant, who had imported two numbers of printed circuit boards, which were sent to Colombo for repair through an authorised courier service company, had approached the CBI with his plea.
"CBI laid a trap and both the accused were caught red handed while demanding and accepting the bribe amount from the complainant. After investigation, a chargesheet was filed before the Designated Court at Chennai. The Court found both the accused guilty and convicted them," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India