Deputy Commissioner Customs sentenced to 1 year imprisonment
New Delhi: A former deputy commissioner of Customs has been sentenced by special CBI court in Chennai to undergo one year rigorous imprisonment in a case of bribery, agency spokesperson said here today.
The official said the then Deputy Commissioner of Customs V S Sundararajan and then Appraiser of Customs D Ramani, both posted in Chennai, have been sentenced to undergo one year rigorous imprisonment with fine of Rs 6,000 each.
A case was registered on January 6, 2010 based on the complaint of a Proprietor of Cuddalore District alleging that V S Sundararajan, Deputy Commissioner of Customs, and D Ramani, an Appraising officer Customs both of Courier Cell, Air Cargo Complex Meenambakkam Chennai had conspired together and demanded a bribe of Rs 2,500 for clearing a consignment of the complainant, the statement said.
It said the complainant, who had imported two numbers of printed circuit boards, which were sent to Colombo for repair through an authorised courier service company, had approached the CBI with his plea.
"CBI laid a trap and both the accused were caught red handed while demanding and accepting the bribe amount from the complainant. After investigation, a chargesheet was filed before the Designated Court at Chennai. The Court found both the accused guilty and convicted them," the official said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!