Deputy Commissioner Customs sentenced to 1 year imprisonment
New Delhi: A former deputy commissioner of Customs has been sentenced by special CBI court in Chennai to undergo one year rigorous imprisonment in a case of bribery, agency spokesperson said here today.
The official said the then Deputy Commissioner of Customs V S Sundararajan and then Appraiser of Customs D Ramani, both posted in Chennai, have been sentenced to undergo one year rigorous imprisonment with fine of Rs 6,000 each.
A case was registered on January 6, 2010 based on the complaint of a Proprietor of Cuddalore District alleging that V S Sundararajan, Deputy Commissioner of Customs, and D Ramani, an Appraising officer Customs both of Courier Cell, Air Cargo Complex Meenambakkam Chennai had conspired together and demanded a bribe of Rs 2,500 for clearing a consignment of the complainant, the statement said.
It said the complainant, who had imported two numbers of printed circuit boards, which were sent to Colombo for repair through an authorised courier service company, had approached the CBI with his plea.
"CBI laid a trap and both the accused were caught red handed while demanding and accepting the bribe amount from the complainant. After investigation, a chargesheet was filed before the Designated Court at Chennai. The Court found both the accused guilty and convicted them," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?