Detained Indian fishermen released in Sri Lanka
Rameswaram: The 23 Indian fishermen who
were arrested in Sri Lanka last week, were released from
judicial custody on Wednesday and are expected to return home
tomorrow, officials said.
The detained fishermen, along with their five boats that
were seized, would be handed over by the Lankan Navy to Indian
Coastguard tomorrow at the International Maritime Boundary
Line (IMBL), Coast Guard Assistant Commander Safaya said.
The fishermen are expected to reach Indian shores by
The release of the fishermen was ordered today afternoon
by Mannar district court magistrate Karuppiah Jeevarani,
Intelligence Bureau officials said.
The fishermen, on board five trawlers, were held last week
off the north east coat of Mannar by the Lankan Navy and then
handed over to the Talaimannar police.
Following the arrest, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister
Jayalalithaa had sought Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s
intervention to secure their release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere