Devotee severs tongue, offers to God
Madurai: A devotee severed his tongue and
offered it to God at the famous Lord Nataraja temple in
Chidambaram, fulfilling a vow he had made in 2006 for the
recovery of his friend who was injured in a mishap.
Chandru, an ardent devotee of Lord Nataraja, stunned the
devotees at the temple yesterday when he cut off his tongue
with a knife and put it in the `hundi`, police said.
He fainted soon after and was admitted to a hospital in
Chidambaram, about 300 kms from here. His condition was stated
to be stable today.
In a note found in his shirt pocket, Chandru, who is in
his 30s, said he had offered his tongue to fulfil a vow he
had made to God in 2006 when his friend Hariharasudhan met
with an accident. "I vowed to donate by tongue if my friend
got cured. Hence, I cut off the tongue and offered it to my
Lord," police said quoting the note.
Chandru used to visit the temple during full moon and
new moon days. Yesterday, being a new moon day, he had
meditated in the temple for some minutes, then in a flash
pulled out a knife and cut off his tongue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video