Devotee severs tongue, offers to God
Madurai: A devotee severed his tongue and
offered it to God at the famous Lord Nataraja temple in
Chidambaram, fulfilling a vow he had made in 2006 for the
recovery of his friend who was injured in a mishap.
Chandru, an ardent devotee of Lord Nataraja, stunned the
devotees at the temple yesterday when he cut off his tongue
with a knife and put it in the `hundi`, police said.
He fainted soon after and was admitted to a hospital in
Chidambaram, about 300 kms from here. His condition was stated
to be stable today.
In a note found in his shirt pocket, Chandru, who is in
his 30s, said he had offered his tongue to fulfil a vow he
had made to God in 2006 when his friend Hariharasudhan met
with an accident. "I vowed to donate by tongue if my friend
got cured. Hence, I cut off the tongue and offered it to my
Lord," police said quoting the note.
Chandru used to visit the temple during full moon and
new moon days. Yesterday, being a new moon day, he had
meditated in the temple for some minutes, then in a flash
pulled out a knife and cut off his tongue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29