Devotee severs tongue, offers to God
Madurai: A devotee severed his tongue and
offered it to God at the famous Lord Nataraja temple in
Chidambaram, fulfilling a vow he had made in 2006 for the
recovery of his friend who was injured in a mishap.
Chandru, an ardent devotee of Lord Nataraja, stunned the
devotees at the temple yesterday when he cut off his tongue
with a knife and put it in the `hundi`, police said.
He fainted soon after and was admitted to a hospital in
Chidambaram, about 300 kms from here. His condition was stated
to be stable today.
In a note found in his shirt pocket, Chandru, who is in
his 30s, said he had offered his tongue to fulfil a vow he
had made to God in 2006 when his friend Hariharasudhan met
with an accident. "I vowed to donate by tongue if my friend
got cured. Hence, I cut off the tongue and offered it to my
Lord," police said quoting the note.
Chandru used to visit the temple during full moon and
new moon days. Yesterday, being a new moon day, he had
meditated in the temple for some minutes, then in a flash
pulled out a knife and cut off his tongue.
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Dr. Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of time management
- In home turf in Bihar, Kanhaiya Kumar all praise for Nitish Kumar, Lalu Yadav; slams Modi govt
- Realty firm Godrej Properties buys 49% stake in its arm Happy Highrises
- Paswan mocks possibility of Nitish becoming PM, says post not vacant for 15 years
- Kolkata wears forlorn look on poll day, less traffic on street
- Seven silent culprits of hair loss!