Devotees throng Meenakshi temple for celestial wedding
Madurai: Thousands of Devotees thronged the famous Sri Meenakshi temple here to witness the celestial wedding of Goddess Meenakshi with Lord Sundareswarar, chief attraction of the festival, performed on Saturday amidst chanting of Vedic hymns.
Deities of Tirupparankunram temple, Lord Subramaniaswamy and Lord Pavalakkanivai Perumal were brought to the venue to witness the event.
The rituals started with Vinayaka and other pujas and swapping of garlands. At the stroke of 10.47 am the "mangalya dharanam" was performed with one priest decorated as bridegroom, tied the "mangalyam" around the neck of another who performed the role of Goddess Meenakshi in the symbolic performance of the ceremony.
Elaborate security arrangements were made by the police and temple officials in view of the security threats to the temple and policemen were deployed at every nook and corner during the celestial event held as part of the 17-day festival.
Later, deities of Lord Sundareswarar and Goddess Meenakshi will be kept at the Thirukkalyana Mandapam for the devottes to offer worship.
Wedding feast will be arranged for around 60,000 devotees, on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption