Devotees throng Meenakshi temple for celestial wedding
Madurai: Thousands of Devotees thronged the famous Sri Meenakshi temple here to witness the celestial wedding of Goddess Meenakshi with Lord Sundareswarar, chief attraction of the festival, performed on Saturday amidst chanting of Vedic hymns.
Deities of Tirupparankunram temple, Lord Subramaniaswamy and Lord Pavalakkanivai Perumal were brought to the venue to witness the event.
The rituals started with Vinayaka and other pujas and swapping of garlands. At the stroke of 10.47 am the "mangalya dharanam" was performed with one priest decorated as bridegroom, tied the "mangalyam" around the neck of another who performed the role of Goddess Meenakshi in the symbolic performance of the ceremony.
Elaborate security arrangements were made by the police and temple officials in view of the security threats to the temple and policemen were deployed at every nook and corner during the celestial event held as part of the 17-day festival.
Later, deities of Lord Sundareswarar and Goddess Meenakshi will be kept at the Thirukkalyana Mandapam for the devottes to offer worship.
Wedding feast will be arranged for around 60,000 devotees, on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre