Devotees throng Meenakshi temple for celestial wedding
Madurai: Thousands of Devotees thronged the famous Sri Meenakshi temple here to witness the celestial wedding of Goddess Meenakshi with Lord Sundareswarar, chief attraction of the festival, performed on Saturday amidst chanting of Vedic hymns.
Deities of Tirupparankunram temple, Lord Subramaniaswamy and Lord Pavalakkanivai Perumal were brought to the venue to witness the event.
The rituals started with Vinayaka and other pujas and swapping of garlands. At the stroke of 10.47 am the "mangalya dharanam" was performed with one priest decorated as bridegroom, tied the "mangalyam" around the neck of another who performed the role of Goddess Meenakshi in the symbolic performance of the ceremony.
Elaborate security arrangements were made by the police and temple officials in view of the security threats to the temple and policemen were deployed at every nook and corner during the celestial event held as part of the 17-day festival.
Later, deities of Lord Sundareswarar and Goddess Meenakshi will be kept at the Thirukkalyana Mandapam for the devottes to offer worship.
Wedding feast will be arranged for around 60,000 devotees, on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official