Devotees throng Velankanni on New Year’s Day
Nagapattinam: Devotees thronged the world famous Christian pilgrim centre at Velankanni in Nagapattinam district for the New Year Celebrations.
Special mass commenced by 11:15 PM on New Year eve.
On New Year`s day, prayers and special aradhana were performed for peace and prosperity in 2013. Bishop of Thanjavur Devdoss Ambrose presided over the prayers in the presence of Velankanni parish priest Michael Adigalar.
Throughout the day, special prayers were held in many Indian languages including Tamil, Malayalam, Kannada, Urdu, Hindi, Konkani and Bengali.
People also thronged the temples at Tirukkadaiyur, Vaitheeswarankoil and Tirunallar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!