Devotees throng Velankanni on New Year’s Day
Nagapattinam: Devotees thronged the world famous Christian pilgrim centre at Velankanni in Nagapattinam district for the New Year Celebrations.
Special mass commenced by 11:15 PM on New Year eve.
On New Year`s day, prayers and special aradhana were performed for peace and prosperity in 2013. Bishop of Thanjavur Devdoss Ambrose presided over the prayers in the presence of Velankanni parish priest Michael Adigalar.
Throughout the day, special prayers were held in many Indian languages including Tamil, Malayalam, Kannada, Urdu, Hindi, Konkani and Bengali.
People also thronged the temples at Tirukkadaiyur, Vaitheeswarankoil and Tirunallar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites