Dhanapal all set to be elected TN Speaker
Chennai: With no party choosing to contest his candidature, AIADMK nominee P Dhanapal is all set to be elected as Speaker of the Tamil Nadu Assembly, election for which is scheduled on Tuesday.
The Rasipuram (SC) legislator will be the first Dalit Speaker to occupy the Chair after a gap of nearly 50 years. Formerly Deputy Speaker after the AIADMK came to power last year, he will be elevated following the surprise resignation of D Jayakumar from the Speaker`s post recently.
The AIADMK has a massive majority of 151 MLAs in the 234-member House, virtually making it impossible for any other aspirant to be chosen as Speaker.
Meanwhile, with the posts of Speaker and Deputy Speaker lying vacant, Governor K Rosaiah today appointed Kilvaithinankuppam (SC) MLA CK Thamizharsan as pro-tem Speaker.
Thamizharsan was appointed "Speaker till the election of the Speaker by the said House on October 10," a government notification here said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui